Login with a social network:

Welcome to the SolveThai.com, a community for Thai language learners! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the Forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.

Introduction

First time here? Introduce yourself. Where are you from, why are you learning Thai, what level are you? We can all be friends.
Sig

Introduction

Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:03 am

Hello,
My name is Dale.
I see the most recent post here is from December of last year!
Does anyone actually join and use this website anymore?

I can't say that I'm particularly interested in Thai other than for practical purposes. I live here.

What level am I on....? That's an excellent question. I have no idea, since everyone seems to have their own idea of levels, usually far overestimating their ability until they need to understand some poetry, read a text involving royal language or a religious text, which would be included in the category of "fluent" IMO. I would say I am lower-intermediate. I'll be finishing up the Bachelor's degree program in Communicative Thai for Foreigners at Kasetsart University soon. I would NOT recommend it, by the way. I went that route for other various reasons. I have studied in a fair number of private language schools in BKK over the years. I liked Union Language School the best (Although that was about 15 years ago. Hopefully it is still good). Unity Thai Language School was also good, but I don't want to give my money to them again for ethical reasons. I studied at a few others that were total jokes and being run by people that have absolutely no clue about teaching language, let alone teaching it to people as a second (or third, etc) language, much like most of Thailand. Ever wonder why Thai people can study English for years upon years and yet not be able to communicate with it!? They aren't stupid, but the educational system is. And their teachers aren't far behind that.

Other hobbies and games I play? I don't think anyone would really be interested. I'll pass.

Looking forward to seeing if this site will be helpful in trying to figure out some things in the language that I come across here and there.

PatrickK
-

Re: Introduction

Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:41 am

Hi Dale, welcome!

There are plans in the works for this site, but we need a few more people interested in making the idea work. It is hard to run it alone. If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

Why did you decide to go for the bachelors degree here?

Ever wonder why Thai people can study English for years upon years and yet not be able to communicate with it!? They aren't stupid, but the educational system is. And their teachers aren't far behind that.

I'd have to agree. You can't blame the people, you have to blame the system. I don't think the people realize the importance of learning English, though. If you only know Thai, the amount you can learn is very restricted.

Return to Member Introduction