Login with a social network:

Welcome to the SolveThai.com, a community for Thai language learners! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the Forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.

Learning to type in Thai

Discussion of all things related to Thai language. Have a question about grammar, or the origin of something? Post it here!
PatrickK
-

Learning to type in Thai

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:27 am

This was asked before here, and there are some good recommendations there:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8446

I learned to type Thai simply going through the free lessons here:
http://thai-notes.com/typing/typing.shtml

As for getting practice, I installed HelloTalk on my phone to practice typing, chat with my friends on Line or FB, and use InterPals to practice with natives speakers.

Any other recommendations? I remember Stuart Jay saying one of the first things he learns to do when learning a language is learning to type. I've found it super helpful in learning, and really isn't very difficult. Start slow and get better overtime, it really adds up.

farang84

Re: Learning to type in Thai

Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:19 am

I wish I had thought of actually "learning" to type. It would have saved me the hassle of doing the "look for every letter" method, which I can assure you, is much slower.

Tod Daniels

Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:13 am

Indeed, that Thai Notes site is a GREAT free resource to learn how to touch type thai! :) :)

There is another good resource called "type in thai" http://typeinthai.com/.

Some parts of the site are okay, but I can't get the "challenge" tab to work. It used to be really great too with different levels which had to be "unlocked" by proficiently typing the previous level in a given time with xx number of mistakes.

Right now the best one is that thai notes one. I showed it to some thai natives and they loved it..

In fact I know one office which now makes their thai staff learn touch typing from it! :D
Whoever said 'Money can't buy you love or joy' obviously was not making enough money. <- Quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS

ReubenA

Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:35 am

I feel the most important thing is having a good motivation to do it. I learnt entirely through Facebook / Line chats with friends. Those typing trainers bore me after 5 minutes... but I can easily spend hours talking to people online.

Tod Daniels

Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:34 am

I agree with ReubenA that motivation is critical in learning..

With that being said; I disagree that they're going to pick up "touch typing" or even "hunt-n-peck typing" Thai by reading answering face book or line chat. Especially given the "thai penchant" of misspelling words on porpoise, err on purpose! :lol:

To type thai, first you're gonna hafta know where the keys are :) , then you're gonna hafta know how to spell common words ;) and finally you're gonna hafta know how to put those into an order where thaiz don't think you're just typing nonsense to them... :oops:

I think those typing tutors (seeing as they're FREE) provide a great resource for foreigners wanting to increase their ability to type in thai. :D
Whoever said 'Money can't buy you love or joy' obviously was not making enough money. <- Quote by Gene $immon$ of the rock group KISS

PatrickK
-

Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:10 pm

I think you can learn without a typing trainer just by hit and miss and continually texting. There aren't that many letters to remove the location of, especially for the ones that are used most.

It took me maybe 3 hours on this:
http://thai-notes.com/typing/typing.shtml
To learn the locations, and from there it was just practice. It really isn't something that is too difficult.

Similar to English, if you want to learn a new keyboard layout like Dvorak, you can quite easily switch.

Return to General Thai Language