Login with a social network:

Welcome to the SolveThai.com, a community for Thai language learners! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the Forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.

Does the word หิมะ come from the Himalayas?

Discussion of all things related to Thai language. Have a question about grammar, or the origin of something? Post it here!
PatrickK
-

Does the word หิมะ come from the Himalayas?

Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:13 am

I was in northern Thailand a couple weeks ago sitting in a car with 3 Thais talking about the mountains, and I heard the man talk about the Himalayas, and pronounced it as "hee maa lay aaas" instead of the way I normally hear it as "him aah lay aaas". This made me wonder if the Thai word for snow, หิมะ, and derived from the Himalayas, which is perhaps what Thais think of when they think of big mountains with snow.

Does anyone know the origins of the word?

farang84

Re: Does the word หิมะ come from the Himalayas?

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:32 pm

It comes from the Sanskrit word हिमालय (hima-layah), which means snow-abode. So, หิมะ is simply a Sanskrit word for "snow" taken directly into Thai.

PatrickK
-

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:31 am

farang84 wrote:It comes from the Sanskrit word हिमालय (hima-layah), which means snow-abode. So, หิมะ is simply a Sanskrit word for "snow" taken directly into Thai.

Ah, thanks, good info.

farang84

Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:47 am

No problem. Google assisted.

Return to General Thai Language