Login with a social network:

Welcome to the SolveThai.com, a community for Thai language learners! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the Forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.

Strange request :: Anyone have any english language transliterated into

Archive of the Farang Can Learn Thai Language รักภาษาไทย Facebook Group. Posts here can be referenced and linked to, but are locked and available only to members. To request post removal, contact us.
Sefton H

Strange request :: Anyone have any english language transliterated into

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:05 pm

Strange request :: Anyone have any english language transliterated into Thai text ??

I want to work on my reading, and want to have a try where my focus is forming the letters and sounds without the issues of understanding what I am reading. I figure if I had english words written in Thai script I would be doing only that..

Strange idea but anyone have anything ??

Joseph C

Re: Strange request :: Anyone have any english language transliterated into

Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:03 am

there are many books available also if you go to www.thai-language.com and go to lessons you will find short stories.. alot easier ^.^

Matthew V

Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:53 am

I know what you mean, but I can't think of anywhere, sorry. For something shorter but maybe still useful, you could look up lists of English loanwords in Thai and just work your way through the list.

Kabir O

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:35 am

Isn't there a risk that you will then deform Thai pronunciation by making it more English-like?

Finn R

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:02 am

Any book for English learning for thai.
They write the english word with thai letter...
(If that was what u mean )

Finn R

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:04 am

Like photo book...
First in thai...then english with thai letters...then English with roman letters...

Keith W

Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:34 am

If I may say so, I understand why you say you are doing it but I reckon it is a pointless exercise.

Sefton H

Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:05 am

Having basically learnt my letters to the point of being able to sound out Thai words, not understanding what the words were, twice now.. and then giving up soon after due to lack of suitable level reading material. I see the point.

เอริก บรัดลี่

Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:19 am

No it's not a pointless exercise. It helps you to get experience and practice in reading Thai script but *knowing* what the end result should sound like, which I think is very beneficial. Even better to practice writing English words in Thai script. The problem is that it doesn't give enough different consonants unless you use several books.

Also many times the Thai author does not write the word correctly, or uses a word incorrectly. Something to be aware of is that when writing foreign or special words, the อ์ symbol does not always indicate a silent letter, it can also indicate a word that does not conform to normal Thai pronunciation rules (such as, for example, that it ends in "s"... however many Thai people omit the "s" anyway, or substitute a "t", because it is hard to say). Another unusual rule is that words that end in a hard "t" sound have a dot under the final T like so... ทฺ -- there are also all the usual problems encountered when transliterating.

For example is หัทฺ pronounced as "hut" or "hat" (I would argue the latter, or perhaps I should say เลัทอ, and there what I just wrote is a very clear example of just how difficult this transliteration business really is, especially when going from Thai to English, and how a Thai reader unfamiliar with English will probably end up with the wrong sound anyway, even when we do our best to make it simple. Because that transliteration I just provided for "latter" sounds like a brand name for a Latvian airline company, but it's difficult to emulate the sound using Thai script).

Can anybody come up with a better way to write "latter" in Thai script and still get the correct sound in English? Disregard for the moment providing a strong, crisp American "R" sound on the end of the word (if you did include that, you need to use ร์ to ensure you did not end up with "lattern", or more accurately, "lattairn").

Daniel E

Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:34 am

I agree with Keith Williams. But, I may have a solution. http://ressources.learn2speakthai.net/ Manee. Read the first book. This is on your reading level and will help you learn simple words. มานี มานี มี ตา อา อา มีตา กา กา มี ตา

Next
Return to Farang Can Learn Thai Language รักภาษาไทย