Login with a social network:

Welcome to the SolveThai.com, a community for Thai language learners! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the Forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.

I have a question here for some ENGLISH teachers. I

Archive of the Farang Can Learn Thai Language รักภาษาไทย Facebook Group. Posts here can be referenced and linked to, but are locked and available only to members. To request post removal, contact us.
Joseph C

I have a question here for some ENGLISH teachers. I

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:04 pm

I have a question here for some ENGLISH teachers. I am a farang but my thai friend is asking me for a translation of a sentence. It has, as i've discovered 4 sentences already. This is because thai and english use different grammar structures for certain words. I will give you the sentence, then following, will be my 4 interpretations... any advice would be appreciated. Thanks ^.^
ถ้าเป็นสุภาพบุรุษมากเกินไปบางทีก็ไม่ดี = if to be gentleman to much, some times, also not good (literal translation)
ENGLISH :
It is not always good, to be too polite.
If you are too polite, it is not always good
Not always, is it good to be too polite.
It is not always good to be a gentleman

And, as you can probably tell, I'm starting to get confused.... Please add different ways. This is why English is so difficult to learn. Even as a NATIVE speaker, I am confused as to which grammar structure should be used here. And I'm sure there are many others... HALP... and also , feel free to add some more sentences ... 555 ^.^

Joseph C

Re: I have a question here for some ENGLISH teachers. I

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:11 pm

It's not good, to be too much of a gentleman

Kolja N

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:26 pm

The first one seems fine to me. Just drop the comma.

Joseph C

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:29 pm

Yes, but in Thai, สุภาพบรุษ is meaning gentleman. The sentence MUST use gentleman. If it was just สุภาพเกินไป that is easy = Too polite, easy to understand. But in saying that, can any thai people tell me if the Thai sentence is grammatically correct?

Kolja N

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Who said you MUST use gentleman? Translations always should be flexible.

Joseph C

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:33 pm

My friend said she wants to use gentleman. So I am trying my hardest to get that word, as su-paap bu-rut in thai is meaning gentleman.

Luke B

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:42 pm

Sometimes it is not good to be too much of a gentleman.

If you are adamant that "gentleman" shoudl be used, then I would say to maintain consistency with the source บางที is "sometimes" and not the inversion (not always)

However to really determine the best translation, the context needs to be determined. Who is saying this to whom where and why? Only then can you figure out the language that should be used, especially for a language like Thai.

Biff T

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:07 pm

It's not always appropriate to be too much of a gentleman.

Daniel F

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:50 pm

I would go with Luke's translation or
"Sometimes it's not a good thing to be too gentlemanly."

Luke K

Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:09 pm

Personally, ทำตัวเป็นสุภาพบุรุษ makes more sense to me, but I guess ทำตัว is not required in this sentence? (Anyone?)

Here's 3 more sentences just to do your head in :)
ทำตัวเป็นสุภาพบุรุษมากเกินไปบางทีก็ไม่ดีนะ
ถ้าทำตัวเป็นสุภาพบุรุษมากเกินไปบางทีก็ไม่ดีนะ
การทำตัวเป็นสุภาพบุรุษมากเกินไปบางทีก็ไม่ดีนะ

Next
Return to Farang Can Learn Thai Language รักภาษาไทย