Login with a social network:

Welcome to the SolveThai.com, a community for Thai language learners! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the Forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.

I have a question here for some ENGLISH teachers. I

Archive of the Farang Can Learn Thai Language รักภาษาไทย Facebook Group. Posts here can be referenced and linked to, but are locked and available only to members. To request post removal, contact us.
Oliver D

Re: I have a question here for some ENGLISH teachers. I

Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:20 pm

To act/be too much the gentleman is sometimes not good

Tip S

Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:37 pm

i agreed with Oliver Duce. i think that's the perfect one

Kevin C

Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:42 pm

I think Luke is correct in noting that to properly translate this sentence you would have to know the context in which it was said. To say, "Sometimes it's not a good thing to be too gentlemanly." would also also mean that, "Sometimes it is good to be rude." It is difficult for me to imagine a situation, especially in Thailand, where this would would be an appropriate thing to say.

Biff T

Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:42 pm

As a native speaker,' to act too much the gentleman is not good' doesn't scan particularly well.

Oliver D

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:18 pm

Sometimes it simply won't do to be TOO much of a gentleman (what?)

Lnw T

Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:19 am

I think your thai friend is too much :)

Joseph C

Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:39 am

thanks alot guys. It is a woman saying it. I believe trying to make a point of people being too polite or over-the-top gentlemanly (is that a word 55) Really thanks alot for all of your help. And it does make it difficult not knowing the complete context of what is trying to be said -- Welcome to translater นักแปล 555

Ann V

Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:54 am

In Belgium we say: veel te goed is half zot. Which means: too good, is half stupid. Meaning that u should be careful not to let people take advantage of your kindness. :)

Ann V

Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:58 am

Actually "zot" means "crazy". --> too good is half crazy. But we mean 'half stupid'. :)

Kevin C

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:11 am

I think Joseph Crowe just gave us the context which was needed. His Thai lady friend probably meant that it sounds a little over the top when people use polite words like ครับ, ค่ะ, คุณ___(name) in every sentence. When I first began learning Thai I was told by Thai teachers that it is always better to error on the side of politeness, but once you start to get a handle on the spoken language, much of the more formal talk can be omitted.

PreviousNext
Return to Farang Can Learn Thai Language รักภาษาไทย