Tamber here:)

First time here? Introduce yourself. Where are you from, why are you learning Thai, what level are you? We can all be friends.
Tamber

Tamber here:)

Post by Tamber »

Hi, I'm Tamber. I have been living in Thailand for three and a half years and studying Thai on a casual, after-work basis at various schools since I got here. I'll be starting level 8 (hopefully) at Chulalongkorn University this November. I have a long background in the language services industry, so my ultimate goal is to reach interpreter/translator level in Thai.

My newest discovery/development is an ability to read long-form fiction in Thai, so I'm on the lookout for recommendations for good books with compelling, fast-moving plots (I'm not good enough to plow through complex literature yet). Another one of my favorite things to do in studying thai is "ask why" = why is it like that, what is the root of that word, where did it come from.

I look forward to learning with all of you!
ReubenA

Re: Tamber here:)

Post by ReubenA »

Nice to meet you Tamber!

I want to reach that level in Thai also - not for any work reason, just a personal challenge.

What's your background in language services? What other languages can you speak?
MichaelKohl

Post by MichaelKohl »

เรียวตะ ซูซูกิ was recommend to me. As you may be able to tell from the name he's originally Japanese, but writes books in simple spoken Thai. Still too hard for me at the moment, but could be good for you.
PatrickK
-

Post by PatrickK »

Welcome!

What long-form fiction have you read so far?
Another one of my favorite things to do in studying thai is "ask why" = why is it like that, what is the root of that word, where did it come from.
This has fascinated me since I started learning as well. I am constantly being surprised by the hidden gems of the history of Thai language.