Yedian here

First time here? Introduce yourself. Where are you from, why are you learning Thai, what level are you? We can all be friends.
Yedian

Yedian here

Post by Yedian »

I'm a retired computer engineer who lives in Chiang Mai half time. Prior to retirement I taught computers in Beijing for 8 years and know just enough Chinese to be dangerous. :) I've written a couple of computer programs to give me some leverage in reading and writing Thai. My current focus in Thai is learning how to tell stories in Thai. One of my big challenges is building an adequate active vocabulary in Thai.
PatrickK
-

Re: Yedian here

Post by PatrickK »

What brought you to Beijing in the first place? I'd be interested in hearing more about the programs you've made to help you with reading and writing.

As for building vocab, have you checked out Anki? It is the fastest way I've found to build vocab.

Welcome!
Yedian

Post by Yedian »

> What brought you to Beijing in the first place?
I was invited by a friend to apply for a position to teach computing to grad students and young teachers in the linguistics department of a university in Beijing.

> I'd be interested in hearing more about the programs you've made to help you with reading and writing.
My program to help reading takes a Thai text, breaks it into words using a dictionary and then builds a web page. At first glance, the web page simply has the Thai text, but if you mouse over the words, the word breaks are highlighted and clicking on a word brings up a quick definition in the right hand column. That way I can focus on the Thai text and get help only when I want help. I find when Thai and romainization are in close proximity, my eye is immediately drawn to the romanizaton and don't take the time to focus on the Thai. Another feature of my web pages is the ability to make the Thai text bigger or smaller. I get quite frustrated trying to read the Thai text in Facebook pages. It's fine for Thai folks who read by the word, but for me, I need to see the letters. For instance, the difference between ช and ซ can be hard to see at small point sizes.

For writing Thai, I have another program based on the same dictionary which is essentially a Thai spell checker which looks things up as you type individual letters. The input can be either Thai or a modified form of the Becker romanization. The program makes it easier to deal with challenges posed by Thai spelling.

> As for building vocab, have you checked out Anki? It is the fastest way I've found to build vocab.
Yes, I'm familiar Anki. I write programs to help me build Anki decks. However, when it comes to actually using Anki for more than a week or two, I find Anki is simply no fun at all. I get about half way through reviewing my daily Anki quota and I start to forget about the Thai and think about what does it take to make the program stop badgering me. :-)

> Welcome!
Thanks!
ReubenA

Post by ReubenA »

Yedian, are you talking about something similar to Learning With Texts? I know there was a guy that wrote a parser for Thai (sounds like the same as you've done) that worked with that. You'd mouseover a word and it would give you the definition. Great idea in concept but when I tried it there quite a few problems that made it frustrating to use. Mostly due to incorrect parsing.

It's here if you're interested: http://thaitextreader.com/index.php/ (who knows - we might be talking about the same thing haha)

What programs have you written to help you build Anki decks? I find that really time consuming so would be interested to hear what solutions you have.
Yedian

Post by Yedian »

It's here if you're interested: http://thaitextreader.com/index.php/
Yes, I'm familiar with TTR and FLTR. If you read the article by Andrej at http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/flt ... xt-reader/, under the heading "Thai Parser" you'll find an oblique reference to a visitor to Andrej's web site that gave him an idea about writing a parser for Thai. I was that visitor. Andrej's parser is more aggressive than mine and, therefore, may be more mistake prone. I'm not sure about that. I've never bothered to take the time to gather statistics about his parser's errors as compared with my parser. I don't want to spend too much time polishing my tools. I prefer to spend my time using the tools that I have. For the texts that I typically work with, my guess is that my parser is OK about 95% of the time. If you turn my parser loose an a typical Thai newspaper article, it will do much worse than that. Thai personal names, organizational names and abbreviations aren't included in the dictionaries that I have access to.
What programs have you written to help you build Anki decks?
Anki templates are written in .html. When I want to build a new Anki deck, I first work out the template I want use. Then I put the words, definitions, references to sound files, etc. on a spreadsheet. Once I'm happy with proposed contents of the deck, I write a quick program to take the contents of each line of the spreadsheet and plug into the template. The result is something that can be imported into Anki.